Preliminary 1 (P1)
A one hour and fifteen minute combination class for 5 and 6 year olds who will have already completed the Returning Dancer level. Students will continue to dance tap, jazz and ballet each week while working to improve their skills and technique. This level participates in a holiday performance in November/December at a local Senior Citizen’s home and the end of year June recital at the Rebecca Cohn auditorium in Halifax. Students will also be examined by the Performing Arts Educators of Canada in February by taking a short ballet exam.
Schedule Sept 2018 – June 2019
- Thursday 4:15 – 5:30 (Venessa)
- Saturday 9:00 – 10:15 (Bethany)
- Saturday 10:15 – 11:30 (Emily)
- Saturday 11:00 – 12:15 (Tatyana)
- Saturday 12:15 – 1:30 (Courtney)
- Sunday 11:45 – 1:00 (Bethany)
- Saturday 9:00 – 10:15 (Ainsley)
- Saturday 10:00 – 11:15 (Miranda)
- Saturday 12:45-2:00 (Miranda)
Our Classes run from September until mid June when we present our annual recitals. Registration for the 2018-2019 dance year begins May 5th and will continue throughout the summer months. We also offer on-going registration for new students throughout the year.
How to register
We accept in person registration, telephone registration with Visa or Mastercard, and email registration by scanning and emailing the completed registration form including credit card information.
Ask us about P1
- You are entitled to make-up any missed class during the year. Please see our website at www.maritimedanceacademy.com or check with the office for an appropriate make-up class time. Make- up classes are very important for exam students so that they do not fall behind on exam material.
- Classes will run from September 6th, 2018 until mid-June with a break for Christmas and New Years in Dec/Jan. We hold special classes for March Break as we have found that most students are able to attend a class during this week.
- Your child’s first performance will be an in-class demonstration for the parents during the last class before Christmas break.
- A recital will be held in June at which time your child will perform on stage. Your costume rental fee is charged in November for the costume used for recital and picture day.
- If you have any questions please do not hesitate to talk to your instructor or contact the office, we are here to help!
Tuition and Costs
Children’s Program classes run September to June, tuition fees are paid 10 weeks at a time. There are typically three 10 week payments, and one final 11 or 12 week payment for a student who is enrolled from September to June. The number of weeks in the final payment will be determined by the date of the June recital. If a student enrolls partway through the year, we will calculate the number of weeks remaining in the payment cycle.
1 1/4 hour class – $12.95 +tax per week = $148.90/10 weeks
Annual registration fee – $25.00 +tax
Annual costume rental fee – $35.00 +tax
All dance payments are made in instalments throughout the year, every 10 weeks. Annual costume rental fees are due with the November payment. Costume rental fees are an annual fee and are non-refundable. The cost is $35.00 plus tax for all combination, contemporary and adult classes and $25.00 plus tax for Hip Hop classes. You may provide us with your credit card number and we will automatically process the appropriate amount on these dates. If you choose to pay fees using automatic payment, it is your responsibility to provide Maritime Dance Academy with updated credit card information. There is a $10.00 + tax late charge for late payments after the 1st week and an additional $5.00 + tax each additional week not paid. The $25.00 + tax registration fee is non-refundable once your child is registered for the class.
Children’s Program Dress Code
Our school uniform is a lavender bodysuit and ballerina pink tights for younger children and black bodysuit and ballerina pink tights for students starting in the New Grades 4/6 and New Grades 7/9 combination classes. Boys wear black pants and white T-shirts. First year students are not obligated to purchase the school uniform when starting class. Please no loose sweaters during class; it makes it difficult for the teacher to make body alignment corrections. You can purchase all required dancewear at your Maritime Dance Studio, please come in to be sized. Hair should be styled so that it is back off the shoulders and neck for all dance classes and performances. (A bun is great!)
All children’s classes are required to have leather ballet slippers and tap shoes. Exam classes are not permitted to wear Payless or Wal-Mart ballet slippers because the sole of the shoe is too hard and the students cannot point and flex their feet properly. Boys wear black slippers and black tap shoes. These items may be purchased at your Maritime Dance Academy studio. Hip hop students are required to wear clean indoor sneakers for class.